Monday, March 19, 2012

A Child's Perspective

At an illustrator's workshop I attended last month, we were advised to write as much from the perspective of the child as possible.  That way they can relate to the story better.  For instance, if you were writing about something that happened to you as a child, it's better to write the narrative as if you were still the child instead of as an adult looking back.

Being a mother of young children keeps me well in tune with that phase of life.  I'm often highly entertained by the off-the-wall things they come up with.  For instance, this week at a parent-teacher conference, my daughter's teacher handed me a little piece of her work.  In light of the advice I mentioned, I thought it would be funny to share it with you as an example of what a child's perspective might look like:

Now, normally, I don't go for the barfing kind of humor, but this one made me laugh right out loud!  Kids.  I love 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment